Gradient

21 May

I loved the color combination of my Slices of Color mani from Saturday, so I stuck with those polishes and tried out a gradient.

I’ve done gradients before, but this time around I tried a slightly different technique.  Rather than ripping off little pieces of sponge and doing each color one at a time, I applied all the colors to a full make up sponge and did them all at once.  I actually really liked this technique.  I would say the only issue I had with doing it this way is that it can be hard to paint the stripes on the sponge to line up on your nail the way you want.  Two colors would have been easier to do this with than four.  I love how they bleed together with this technique.

I don’t feel like it photographed as well as it actually looked.  My colors were China Glaze White on White, Revlon Peachy, Julep Selena and NYX Sepia.  I purposely used a top coat that I knew would smear the colors a bit to help with the blending effect, Jordana Quick Dry.  For the extra shine I finished it off with Poshé.

This is definitely a sponging technique I will be using in the future.

7 Responses to “Gradient”

1. am1ec May 21, 2012 at 6:24 am #

Gorg love it!! ?? Do you use the same sponge over and over or a new one for each nail?? You have inspired me to try this technique :)

• TopCoatIt May 21, 2012 at 8:54 am #

I used the same sponge for each nail and just kept reapplying the polish in the same spots. Once the polish dries on the sponge, it gets all hard and crusty. As long as you’re doing one nail after the other, you can use the same sponge.

• Becky May 21, 2012 at 5:45 pm #

When I did the sponge gradient, I had a paper plate to sponge on so the colors blended well on the sponge. I also sponged each nail multiple times since the polish was somewhat thin on the sponge. Anyways, I love the gradient look and the colors you used :)

• TopCoatIt May 21, 2012 at 8:56 pm #

I usually drop the polish on a palate, but for this one, I just brushed it right on the sponge.

• am1ec May 21, 2012 at 7:51 pm #

Great thanks :D

2. Tara May 21, 2012 at 7:15 am #

This is so cool! Makes me want to go to the beach :)

3. Babs La Goffe May 21, 2012 at 7:47 am #

Cool. I once tried something like that and I called it “Beam me up, Scotty”