Elle Riviera Blue + China Glaze Liquid Leather

5 May

When I posted my failed mani on Tuesday it reminded me of the design I was initially trying to implement there.

I started with Elle Riviera Blue.  I’m sad to say I’m a little disappointed in this polish.  The formula seems a bit too thick and holy bubbles!  I assume the bubbles are a result of the thick formula.  I do love the color though; that pretty blue foil.  This design is like one of those pictures that looks different to different people.  You know, like the one that either looks like an old lady or a young lady.  My eye always goes to the black in this design.  I have to force myself to look at the blue.

I really like this design, but want to play with different colors.  This was really easy to do and only took the bottle brush to create.

What do you think of this design?  Does your eye go to the black or the blue?

16 Responses to “Elle Riviera Blue + China Glaze Liquid Leather”

1. Amanda (Mae) May 5, 2012 at 8:34 am #

I love this look! I think my eyes go to the blue, beautiful

• TopCoatIt May 5, 2012 at 7:18 pm #

Thanks Amanda! The longer I wore it the more I would go straight to the blue.

2. Tara May 5, 2012 at 10:03 am #

I really like it. My eyes went to the blue first!

• TopCoatIt May 5, 2012 at 7:20 pm #

Thanks Tara! I already have a couple different color combinations I want to try in this design.

3. everysensory May 5, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

It’s definitely eye-catching. I see both – I couldn’t tell which I saw first, it was definitely ‘black on blue”, but when I stare, the black stands out more for me. It’s crying out for googly eyes, for me :D

• TopCoatIt May 5, 2012 at 7:20 pm #

Ha ha! Maybe I’ll put this on my Halloween list and add eyeballs. :)

4. Laurie May 5, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

Oooh this is hot! I love this style!!!

• TopCoatIt May 5, 2012 at 7:21 pm #

Thanks Laurie! I will for sure be trying this again!

5. Becky May 6, 2012 at 12:12 am #

I love love love the style and colors. I think my eyes went towards the black but that may be because there is a shine from the light on the blue going down the middle.

• TopCoatIt May 8, 2012 at 10:15 am #

My hubby actually told me he learned in one of his art classes a long time ago that when black is paired with a cool color the black over shadows the color. When black is paired with a warm color, the warm color is dominant. It made me want to experiment. :)

6. coolnailart May 6, 2012 at 10:47 am #

I love it! Isn’t liquid leather just the best black? I love it. Oh, and my eyes went to that gorgeous blue first. You did a great job making it look neat and professional. :)

• TopCoatIt May 8, 2012 at 10:12 am #

Thank you! I actually find Liquid Leather to be a little thin for my taste which is good for some things and not so good other times. I really like Sally Hansen Black Out, but I’m super low on it and it’s got a wider brush. Each one has it’s place I guess.

• coolnailart May 15, 2012 at 10:18 pm #

Huh, I haven’t tried that brand… I do like thick brushes, though. I might have to try it. Thanks!

7. ChiChi May 6, 2012 at 5:31 pm #

My eyes went to the black first.

8. Kierra Thorn July 11, 2012 at 3:47 am #

Very pretty. My eye went to the black first, but that’s possibly because I am a huge fan of glossy black nails. I must as a question about your CG Liquid Leather. Is it a one coater or more? Mine is very watery and I need 3 coats to make sure it’s not patchy, very disappointed in it. I’m wondering if I got a bad bottle.

• TopCoatIt July 11, 2012 at 9:39 am #

Hi Kierra! I wouldn’t say that Liquid Leather is a one coater, no. I’m sure I could get complete coverage in two good coats. It is possible that you got a bad bottle, but I do find it to be a bit thin for my taste. It seems to flood my cuticles very easily, so I have to apply it in quite thin coats to avoid this. I haven’t been overly impressed with it either.